- Sit in meditation pose (cross-legged on a pillow, meditation bench that is low to the ground or upright in a chair).
- Let your gaze focus softly on the ground in front of you.
- Bring your hands to your navel and hold them in such a way that the fingers of one hand are resting in the palm of the other. Let your thumbnails touch.
- Be mindful that your thumbnails remain that way. The point of this is to keep you alert through the meditation so your mind is less likely to wander.
- Breathe in and mentally count 1. On the out-breath mentally count 2. Continue in this way until you reach 10. Then begin the count again.
If you remain mindful, you will gradually unite breath and mind. If you let your mind wander, you may find yourself counting to 350 before you remember to stop at ten. That’s okay. Don’t judge yourself. This technique helps one master the mind, which puts the person in control of and not at the mercy of the mind.